Take the opportunity in class to see them up close & in person. Stations next week will allow you to play the games, read the books & brochures, try some crossword puzles & more.
WHAT: Midterm Exam
WHERE: Room 240 MMS
WHEN: February 12, 2014
WHY: To help you learn how to prepare & successfully pass 6th grade SS…. & other cumulative tests.
HOW: This may be the first time you have had to take a midterm, so let’s make sure you know exactly what you need to do.
1) Study over a period of time, not all at one time. Your brain will remember more if you study for 10 minutes a day for 6 days than if you study for one day for 60 minutes. Space it out & give your brain a chance.
2) VOCABULARY: Make flashcards for yourself. (On SpellingCity.com they are already there, you just need to print them out.) Go through all the cards. Make 2 piles. The ones you KNOW & the ones you DON’T KNOW. Study the ones you DON’T know. As you learn them add them to the KNOW pile. You will find that watching the KNOW pile grow will make you feel really good!
3) GEOGRAPHY: Get a few blank maps (like the ones we use in our INB) & see what you can fill in. Practice learning only the areas you DO NOT know.
4) TIMELINES: Create a timeline from 4.6 billion years ago to 1BCE. Go through your INB & place on the timeline the major events we have covered. Do not be worried about actual dates. Know that the creation of the earth came before the Stone Age & the Bronze Age was after the Stone Age. Ask yourself what important things occurred during each period of time.
5) OLD TESTS: Review your old exams.
TOPICS to be COVERED on the EXAM
You will be tested on material from September – January.
1) Vocabulary: Use your text book & Spelling City.com to help. Refer to the lists in your INB on pages:10, 11, 18, 19,30, 31, 56, 57, 58 & 59.
2) Maps – be able to:
a. geographic items (INB p 10 # 1 – 16)
b. Scale (INB p.16 & 17)
3)Use INB pages 1 – approximately p. 75
4)Use Textbook pages: 3 – 31, 42 – 51, 102-117, 64 -101
5) Old Tests
REMINDER: If you have been out or are behind for any reason, Extra Help will be held on Wednesday & Thursday next week (Jan. 22 & 23).
Next week we continue with the Old Kingdom... some ELA w/ a creation story, myths & legends of gods & goddesses.....we throw in some science & math w/ pyramids & mummies (how did they get all those enormous blocks 400+ feet into the sky & align them perfectly w/ north? - was it math or science or what????)
Enjoy the 3 days off. See you on Tuesday! Need something to do? Go see the Egyptian mummies in Albany, NY or head down to NYC to the Metropolitan Museum of Art & see some amazing Egyptian artifacts!
ADVANTAGE ASSIGNMENT: (NOTE: You must complete all your daily work in order to get credit for this assignment.)
Advantage Assignments are HW that YOU CHOOSE to do; it’s optional. Since this is an additional assignment that anyone can choose to do it, is not extra credit, but it is to your advantage to do it. You will be helping yourself be a better student & a more knowledgeable person. When you are finished turn it in to your Class Period Basket. This assignment is worth 10 points.
Go to CURRENT EVENTS PAGE on our web site. Read through the page. Use a newspaper OR another on line resource that has been approved of by your parents/guardians (there are resources linked on the page but make sure your parent or guardian is okay w/ you using them) Find a political cartoon. Complete the Cartoon Analysis Worksheet. Return to school by Jan. 24th. Please include a copy of the political cartoon you choose to use.
The teachers have a meeting after school on Monday. I will be after school on Tuesday & Wednesday.
FIRST: If there is no school on Friday, Jan. 3rd, the Egypt HW assignment will be due on the next school day. You were given a handout before vacation w/ all the details & you may also find it on parent portal. Hopefully you have already completed it! The CYOAs I have seen are phenomenal!
SECOND: Most of you took your INB home before vacation. All INBs MUST be in school. There will be an INB check next week. Be prepared!
THIRD: Jan 7th: Stone Age & Mesopotamian Test: Studying 10 minutes a day over 6 days is better for your brain than cramming for 60 minutes the night before.